Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Beauty is Hard to Capture in Photos

We have a beautiful snow falling today! I tried taking pictures but it just doesn't capture it! It reminds me of the view of Mount Hood visable driving down certain roads in our town. It is so beautiful that it takes my breath away every time I see it, yet it doesn't show up on my camera.

Some things need to be experienced, and cataloged in our memory banks rather than our digital photo albums. But I keep trying!

A friend of mine from Chicago once told me that the smaller the snow flakes, the bigger the accumulation. You would think it would be just the opposite! Chicago certainly gets their share of snow, and I have found her words to be true! Today's snow comes with small flakes, so the accumulation will probably be big. The snow from Sunday is still here as well, so this is looking like a winter wonderland!

The girl who lives next door knocked yesterday on our front door, asking if she could 'borrow' some snow from our front yard to build a fort with her friend. I told her sure, have fun. I was pleased that she was so polite.

I remember as a child, building forts with my brother and sisters. It was so much fun! We loved building snowmen, too. My boys and I have built some great forts and snowmen as well. It is so much fun! These days, however, when I come in from playing in the snow for hours and hours, I ask Tim to remind me next time that I am no longer 12! Nowadays, after a day of snowmen, snowball fights, forts, etc., I discover muscles I hadn't used in a while and feel it the next day! But the next time it snows, I'm just as eager to get right out there and play. Today I'm opting for warmth by the fire and yummy soup for lunch!

What are your favorite memories, recent or distant, of playing in the snow?

No comments: