Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Tomatoes

My husband, Tim, has enjoyed teasing me over the years that I have a black thumb instead of a green thumb. I love plants, trees, shrubs and flowers. However, they do much better when I admire them from a distance!

I discovered long ago that shrubs look much better when Tim trims them instead of me. It took our shrubs about two years to look good again the last time I trimmed! I try really hard--probably too hard--and typically take off too much trying to even them up.

I've gone to silk flowers after killing several innocent, beautiful house plants. I end up fertilizing the ones that aren't to be fertilized and neglecting the ones that do need it!

So, I have been thrilled at my success this summer in growning tomatoes! Wow! I have three plants growing in a thing called an Earth Box, given to me by my mother-in-law, Ola, after she used it successfully in Florida for a few years. One plant is loaded with grape tomatoes and the other two are flourishing with regular tomatoes. The plants are gorgeous and healthy, with new growth each day!


Now, I have to admit that I did goof in the beginning. I misread the tomato plant food box and applied it every day for the first couple of weeks. I reread the directions and learned I should only apply that every 7 to 14 days! That could explain why my plants are all over six feet tall! After my initial error, now the care of my plants is going smoothly! Just this week, we saw the first sign of red on the vines!

I see my thumb turning greener every day!!!

There is something very rewarding about watching plants grow when I have had a hand in it. Maybe it's a bit like God feels as He watches His children grow, both spiritually and physically.

No comments: