Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Birthday

Last night was one of those nights that left me feeling very content and happy.

Yesterday (Tuesday) was my birthday. On occasions like this, I often think about several aspects of what the day means. One thing I thought about is the fact that my mom did all the work of the pregnancy, labor and delivery, and I get to have all the fun--just because I was born! On the other hand, that is enough reason to celebrate! Life is such a precious gift from God. That was how my day started--deep thinking.

Throughout the day, I heard from my brother, mom and sister (and I will probably hear from my other sister tomorrow). We have a tradition to call each other on our birthdays since we can't see each other in person (due to the distance I live away). It was fun getting caught up with each other.

This evening, my family took me out to celebrate. We had such a great time!

I had read about a Chinese place that is supposed to have some of the best Asian food in town. The only drawback is they only have carry out. So, we decided to have a Chinese picnic supper!

After getting the food, we headed downtown toward a park I had scouted out online. We wanted to go to Washington's Landing, which is an island with a park (and picnic area) that overlooks the city. It sounds very nice. However, traffic was very heavy. We were scheduled to go on the final 'Just Duck Tours' ride of the day this evening, so we looked at the map to try and find a park closer to the Station Square area, which is where the tour begins. There were several parks nearby, notated on the map.


I have never lived some place that has so many roads up above other roads, what I would call a viaduct (I'm not sure if that is the correct term or not). The map I had didn't distinguish which roads were high up and which were below, so we had a crazy time trying to find a park for our Chinese picnic! We finally gave up and decided to have a picnic in the parking garage at Station Square out of the back of my PT Cruiser! Now that is living! It was the most unique birthday meal I can remember. We got a few strange looks. We were too hungry to care! I guess tailgating in the parking garage hasn't caught on yet.


The food was as great as the reputation had made it sound; we had fun trying out chop sticks, etc.



The duck tour was amazing! You start out in a vehicle that drives through the streets of downtown Pittsburgh. Our tour guides were great. We learned so much history! It was probably the best tour we have ever been on anywhere. Then, they head straight for the river, and all the passengers wonder if the guides have lost their minds, but somehow this vehicle suddenly becomes a boat! It was incredible!

Both Ben and Will got turns as captain of the ship once we were in the water. They both had fun with that. Other kids on board took a turn as well. It was terrific, seeing the city from the water.



Ben takes us for a spin
Will is in the driver's seat



Once we returned to Station Square, we stopped for dessert at Hard Rock Cafe. That was my treat for the day instead of a birthday cake. Sometimes it is fun doing something a bit different.


Then, we headed back home.


It sounds simple as I try to describe it, but it was such a special, fun evening! It is hard to describe the laughter, the fun conversations, our boys trying foods that are new to them, the fun of the tour and all the things that made this evening great.
This was one of those experiences that reminds me of several things: 1) what a blessing family is 2) how fun it is to explore and try new things 3) the wonderful gift life is and 4) to go with the flow. Sometimes, things don't go quite as planned, but we adapt, go to plan B, and still have a great time!

I guess this is one way to get to know the area, to get out there and explore!

By the way, the Chinese place is called Zaw's; it's in Squirrel Hill in case you are in the mood for some great takeout!

No comments: